Hogansville is a city in Troup County, Georgia, United States. The population was 2,774 at the 2000 census. Hogansville holds an annual Hummingbird Festival in October. 2008 will be the 11th year of the festival.
Hogansville is located at (33. 170022, -84. 909146).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6. 7 square miles (17. 3 km²), of which, 6. 6 square miles (17. 2 km²) of it is land and 0. 04 square miles (0. 1 km²) of it (0. 45%) is water.
The town of Hogansville has a unique beginning in that it arose from the pre-Civil War plantation of one man, William Hogan. Hogansville began because there was a crossroads on Hogan's land of two important routes, the north-south railroad between Atlanta and West Point, and the east-west road to Augusta, now Highway 100. In his grant of right-of-way, Hogan gave an additional at the crossroad with the stipulation that a depot be built there. His foresight in this grant was the beginning of the town, long before it was incorporated in 1870. This depot was along the rebuilt, and has since been restored.
When Hogan settled the land after the State Land Grant of 1826, he built a log home somewhere near the location of the Mill on South 29. In 1851 he built a 2 1/2 story brick colonial house. The home burned in 1899 and was rebuilt nearby in 1901. Currently Fair Oaks, a private residence at 703 East Main Street, occupies the site. William Hogan died at 57 after having 6 children by his first wife Mary and 15 by his second wife Suzanna. Because of this, his descendants are numerous with many still living in the area. William Hogan is buried in the small family cemetery in front of 705 East Main Street.
Hogan sold very little of his land prior to the Civil War. The survivors of the War returned to a very grave economic situation. Reconstruction days began and John Pullin, Hogan's son-in-law, had the town laid out in business lots which were sold at an Administrators sale in 1866. Main Street was laid off in the sale sixty feet wide extending east and west on both sides of the railroad. The town of Hogansville was incorporated on October 12, 1870 and immediately was known as a center of commerce and the largest cotton market in the area.
By 1890, the Zachry Building was constructed at the corner of Main and College. The Zachry Brothers store occupied the first floor and sold general merchandise including liquor by the bottle and by the drink. Some years later, the Opera House opened on the second floor. Around 1900 the Grand Hotel was built by a stock company on the southeast corner of Main and Oak Streets. In those days old Bill Dukes and his Ox cart met every train to bring up baggage to the Hotel. He also rang the dinner bell as he walked the length of the two porches, upstairs and downstairs shouting, "Dinner is served!" The porches extended all across the front and sides of the building on two floors. This hotel is still standing and has been restored.
For much of its existence Hogansville was a mill town. In 1897 businessmen from Atlanta and Hogansville chartered the Hogansville Manufacturing Company. The mill was built near Yellow Jacket Creek. Adjacent to the mill, a "mill village" was constructed to house the workers. This village is bounded by Green, Dickinson, Askew and Johnson Streets. In 1905 the mill was bought by Consolidated Duck of Delaware, who sold it to Lockwood-Green of Boston in 1913. Callaway of LaGrange bought the mill in 1928, and finally the company that was to become Uniroyal bought the mill and operated it until recently. Currently the mill operates as Industrial Specialty Fabrics.
With the Great Depression and the dramatic fall of cotton prices, Hogansville fell on hard economic times during the 20's and 30's. The town did benefit from many of the programs of the Roosevelt Administration. The WPA helped to build the gymnasium and tennis courts at the school on Main Street and the CCC built the Hogansville Amphitheater using stone from a nearby rock quarry. Since a recent restoration, the amphitheater is the sight of many local events including a series of concerts given during the Hummingbird Festival.
Hogansville also had ties to Roosevelt on a more personal level. Mr. Hugh Darden owned the Ford dealership in town. Chief salesman Joe Broome sold to FDR the hand controller car he drove while in Warm Springs, Georgia. The car is now on display at the Little White House.
The period after World War II and through the Korean War brought great prosperity to the town of Hogansville. It was the commercial center for northern Troup County, Heard, and Meriwether Counties and southern Coweta County. Main Street was abuzz with activity and the sidewalks were choked with shoppers every Saturday. In 1937 the Royal Theater was built by Mr. O. C. Lam. His brother, Mr. C. O. Lam was superintendent of schools at the time. This Theater, an excellent example of Art Deco style was the center of social life in Hogansville for decades.
With the coming of the mass use of automobiles in the 1950s, dark clouds were gathering for Hogansville. The car allowed people to travel farther and farther to larger stores and the local merchants suffered. The 60's brought social upheaval to Hogansville along with the rest of the country. When faced with the choice of integrating or closing their schools, those in favor of maintaining schools prevailed and the schools were integrated almost without incident. Current times see Hogansville looking to the future and re-establishing itself as a cultural and artistic center as well as becoming a bedroom community for the region.
This city information was provided courtesy of Wikipedia