City Data for Moultrie, Georgia
Moultrie is the county seat and largest city of Colquitt County and the third largest in Southwest Georgia behind Thomasville and Albany. As of 2009, Moultrie's population is 15,199 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 6. 07 percent.
Moultrie is an agricultural community set in the Southern Rivers part of the State of Georgia. It is well known for its antique shops and has been styled "The Antique Capital of South Georgia. " Moultrie is also the home of US Senator Saxby Chambliss.
Located in Southwest Georgia, Moultrie is in the center of Colquitt County, west of Interstate 75 - about south of Atlanta and northeast of Tallahassee, Florida.
The city is geographically in the middle of Albany to the NW, Tifton to the NE, Thomasville to the SW, and Valdosta to the SE. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 14. 2 square miles (36. 9 km²).
Moultrie is located at (31. 170188, -83. 783601).
The City was named Moultrie, after Gen. William Moultrie, the Revolutionary War hero after whom Fort Moultrie was named following the successful defence of Charleston, South Carolina in the American War of Independence, against the British under Peter Parker, an anniversary subsequently celebrated as Carolina Day.
Colquitt County became the 115th county in Georgia by an act of the Legislature on February 25, 1856. It was named after Walter Terry Colquittt, a minister, statesman and lawyer who was a military leader in the mid 1860's. In 1879, a charter was adopted and in the center of the county was declared the county seat.
During the American Civil War Colquitt County raised several companies of Confederate troops, particularly Company H, 50th Georgia Volunteer Infantry.
Founders of naval stores started harvesting the timbers in the late 1890s. They set up turpentine stills and built tram roads, allowing for the railroad to come into the territory. The Boston & Albany line, which later became the Georgia Northern Railway, was the first through town, bringing with it growth and prosperity for the County. Practically every train brought new residents interested in supplying naval stores or working in the saw mills.
By 1900, through the work of businessmen, bankers and speculators, the county was becoming a farmer's paradise.
Land was cleared and development companies began dividing the forested area into farm tracts. Experienced farmers from north Georgia and the Carolinas were invited to come and develop the land. The county's agriculture industry thrives today.
As of the census of 2000, there were 14,387 people, 5,663 households, and 3,505 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,013. 0 people per square mile (391. 2/km²). There were 6,525 housing units at an average density of 459. 4/mi² (177. 4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 46. 01% White, 50. 2% African American, 0. 33% Native American, 0. 37% Asian, 0. 05% Pacific Islander, 2. 99% from other races, and 0. 98% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6. 02% of the population.
There were 5,663 households out of which 31. 4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 34. 0% were married couples living together, 23. 5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38. 1% were non-families. 33. 9% of all households were made up of individuals and 15. 8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2. 43 and the average family size was 3. 13.
In the city the population was spread out with 28. 4% under the age of 18, 10. 2% from 18 to 24, 25. 8% from 25 to 44, 19. 7% from 45 to 64, and 16. 0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 87. 2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81. 7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,193, and the median income for a family was $28,406. Males had a median income of $24,856 versus $19,417 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,657. About 23. 0% of families and 27. 6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 37. 8% of those under age 18 and 24. 1% of those age 65 or over.
Moultrie crime has increased tremendously over the years. The national rate of crime is 320. 9. Moultrie stands at 588. 0 and increasing. Most of the crime is property crime and generally happens in the inner city and in poor rural areas close to the city limit.
African American Presence
The African-American community has made a significant impact on the city of Moultrie over the years. Several of those making the most impact have been honored by having community buildings or parks bear their names. One late Moultrie resident has even had a railway terminal in the Atlanta area named in his honor. In 2001, the John W. Whitaker Intermodal Terminal in Austell was named for John Whitaker, a Moultrie native who worked with Norfolk Southern most of his lifetime and helped to form the International Brotherhood of Railroad Employees to address workplace discrimination. He was also training as a pilot with the famed Tuskegee Airmen during World War II, but his training was not completed by the time the war ended in 1945. A section of Ninth Street Northwest was named in honor of Moultrie native Ellis Hanks Jr. in 2003. Hanks received the Navy and Marine Corps Medal, which is the highest award given to a Marine for heroism in a non-combat situation. He was also the first American to receive the Finnish Life Saving Award. Moultrie is also the home of two Negro leagues professional baseball players R. C. Stevens and John Glenn, Nationally Recognized Author Odessa Walker Hooker, Corporate executive Reatha Clark King, Frank Lang Sr. , first African-American Police Chief in Moultrie, the first Miss Black Deaf America Pageant winner Mrs. Ronnie Mae Tyson-Jones and many more prominent African Americans. Both of Moultrie's middle schools bear the names of successful black educators. C. A. Gray Junior High School was named for Charlie A. Gray, a faculty member at Moultrie High for Negro Youth and Willie J. Williams Middle School in honor of its former principal. A majority of Moultrie's African American heritage is generally found in the Northwest section of Moultrie. Southwest and Southeast (also known as Forest Hills) were once predominantly white neighborhoods now have become predominantly black neighborhoods as is Northeast Moultrie. Ram Round-up is a historical class reunion of black high schools for Colquitt County, Georgia from the 1920’s to the 1970’s. It is held every even year in Moultrie, Georgia during the 4th of July holiday week boosting the local economy tremendously. The theme is "A History. A Celebration" and include former schools:
Moultrie public schools are controlled by the Colquitt County Board of Education. It includes
Industry for the Moultrie area grew considerably when Sanderson Farms opened a processing plant in 2006 that now currently employs over 1,000 workers, over 10 percent of the local workforce.
There are several radio and television stations located in the Moultrie area.
Moultrie is serviced by US 319, which connects to Interstate 75 and Interstate 10. State Road 37 and State Road 111 also run through Moultrie. The Chattahoochee and Gulf Railroad, and Greyhound are two transportation services provided in Moultrie. Moultrie also has two small airports, Moultrie Municipal Airport and Spence Airport.
Moultrie is also home to several buildings and homes that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Points of interest
This city information was provided courtesy of Wikipedia